Recently updated on July 17th, 2022
Using fabric scissors versus regular scissors depends on the task at hand. Providing a comfortable and pleasant experience for the user is part of making the workflow effective. The need for a different pair of scissors when cutting fabric may be questioned by many people. The scissors all look similar and function and operate in the same way, so they might consider it all a hoax.
There is a very simple answer to these questions. It is true that all scissors are similar in appearance, but each is designed to perform a specific task with utmost precision. By doing so, the user is provided with great results and a successful outcome. When you have tried to cut through a piece of fabric with an all-purpose scissor, you may have experienced difficulty. As a result, the fabric surface becomes rippled. As a result, the garment appears gruesome and uninviting.
In order to inform the user about the differences between fabric scissors and regular scissors, a detailed comparison of the different types of fabric scissors and their uses has been made in this article from SewingWithEase.com. By doing so, the customer will be able to determine which scissor is best suited to their needs. Additionally, it will provide them with information on the benefits and drawbacks of using these scissors. Consequently, making the user realize the value of different scissors for different tasks.
How Fabric Scissors Differ From Regular Scissors
The blade of a fabric scissor is usually very sharp and does not have serrations. In addition, their blades are wider and longer than those of a regular scissors. In this way, the user is provided with an easy-to-use and highly effective tool for cutting fabrics. With their ease of use, they can glide through any fabric and provide a pleasant and comfortable experience for the user. The edge of a fabric scissor may also dull over time if used for any other purpose.
The product is specially designed for fabrics and cannot be used on other materials. A fabric scissor has a sharp edge, while an all-purpose scissor has a dull edge. In order to make the product safe and hazard-free, this must be done. In addition, a regular scissor will suffice since most products like paper and plastic can be cut easily with regular scissors. In spite of the fact that it is unable to cut through fabrics easily and might cause stress to the user. Because it may curl or cause ripples on fabrics, it is not suitable for garment construction.
It provides the user with effective results when cutting rough or rigid fabrics. In comparison to a regular scissor, this product is much more heavy-duty. Due to the thicker blades of fabric scissors, they will easily cut through any fabric. The fabric texture has rough edges and creates a lot of friction.
However, standard scissors might not be able to accomplish this task because it will result in rippled edges, which is useless for garment construction. When designing a regular scissor, it is essential to keep in mind that it can perform well on various materials. This makes it an option that everyone can consider, despite the fact that it might not be an adequate substitute for fabric scissors.
When designing a fabric scissor, it is important to consider that it should deliver precise results to its user. While cutting fabrics, a fabric scissor should produce clean, sharp edges so that the user is able to cut with precision. Clothing construction follows specific and definite measurements, so this is very important to consider. When developing patterns for garments, even a half-inch of fabric cut inaccurately might be a big mistake.
Since an all-purpose scissor is designed to be highly universal, it is less precise than a fabric scissor, but it provides the user with the flexibility to use it on any material. Because the edges of the fabric might be rippled and not as sharp as required for garment construction, it might not be able to give accurate measurements.
If used on materials other than fabric, fabric scissor edges may become blunt easily. Taking good care of it and using it strictly for fabric cutting and garment construction may prolong its life. As a result, it is less durable and requires more maintenance than a regular scissor.
On the other hand, a regular scissor is designed to handle a wide range of materials. Even though it isn’t the sharpest or most precise option to consider, it is highly adaptable and versatile and doesn’t require a great deal of attention.
As compared to regular scissor handles, fabric scissor handles are wider and larger. Using this method, the user is able to cut and develop patterns from fabric with great precision. In addition, it is ergonomically designed to provide the user with a relaxing and comfortable experience. After using a fabric scissor for a very long time, it can become tiring to hold it. An elongated and oval bow is usually used for the index and middle fingers and a rounder bow for the thumb.
Therefore, the scissor can be held with ease while providing a clean, straight cut to the customer. Compared to a regular scissor, which is shorter and has a round handle with both bows symmetrical. A very short period of time will be spent using it, so it is not ergonomically designed. The handle of the scissors does not need to be well-designed since it won’t cause fatigue.
As fabric scissor blades are thick and long, they are quite heavy. The user is provided with a straight-cutting product that is sturdy and stable. Since it is also a heavy-duty scissor, it easily cuts through various fabrics. As a result, the user will have a comfortable and intuitive experience. For pattern development, provide them with crisp straight cuts.
All-purpose scissors are lightweight plastic scissors with thin blades, making them cost-effective and easy to carry around. Additionally, it is not designed for heavy-duty work, so the user will not have to carry a heavy-weight scissor that might cause injury while using it for a variety of tasks. All the customers’ day-to-day needs are met by this product.
Availability And Price
You must purchase fabric scissors online or in a stationary shop that sells design equipment if you want to find them in an ordinary shop. Its price is also very high compared to other scissors on the market. An ergonomic and practical design, as well as heavy-duty construction, are to thank for this.
An ordinary scissor can be found in any convenience or drug store. As a result, its user enjoys a comfortable experience and is able to access it easily. Because it is made from thin metal blades and has a plastic handle, it is by far a cheaper option than a fabric scissor. Consequently, it is a versatile scissor that can be used for a wide range of short-term and long-term tasks.
What Are the Different Types of Regular Scissors?
Among the most common household tools are shears, knives, hammers, and scissors. Gardening, cutting, sharpening, and many other tasks require different types of tools with different types of strength and sharpness.
A number of new features are being added to scissors, making them one of the most innovative tools on the market. The use of scissors determines the type of scissors. Scissors come in a variety of types, including:
- Kitchen scissors – These stainless steel scissors come in a variety of colors and shapes and are ideal for use in the kitchen. Featuring sharp blades and detachable sides, these kitchen shears are multi-functional. You can use the scissors to easily remove caps, scale, peel, cut, and crack nuts. In order to ensure the user’s safety, the scissors are equipped with a non-slip grip that must be washed with hands.
- Cutting scissors – Hair stylists, barbers, salon workers, and hair enthusiasts commonly use cutting scissors. Men, women, the elderly, children, and even babies can use scissors to cut their hair. Handling them safely and providing long-lasting performance is ensured by detachable fingers. You can also use them for grooming your beard. Their safety and affordability make them a great choice.
- Zig zag scissors – Carbonized inner steel material is used for the handle, which is shaped oval. These hand-forged shears have ergonomic designs and hand-forged blades. With a zig-zag edge, the blades are designed for regular use. To prevent fabric edges from fraying easily, they are forging and cutting zigzag patterns in fabrics.
- Paper Cutting scissors – These scissors can be used to cut paper and all paper-based materials. These scissors usually have plastic handles and an 8-inch length. Stainless steel blades are popular for arts and crafts, office, and domestic purposes.
What Are the Different Types of Fabric Scissors?
Normal scissors and fabric scissors differ primarily in that fabric scissors have longer blades, and their shears are bent or angled, which keeps the blades flat on the table.
Using them to cut out fabric ensures a clean cut of fibers that will last a long time and end up without loose ends. It is possible to cut precisely right up to the tip of the blades with elastic or pivoting shears. Dressmakers, fashion designers, and cloth makers use these machines to cut out fabrics and clothing materials.
A variety of fabric scissors are available for various purposes and feature specially designed elements to ensure a pleasant and comfortable cutting experience. Therefore, allowing the user to produce high-quality garments and perform better. You can choose from a variety of fabric scissors on the market, including:
- Embroidery Scissors – Curved blade scissors usually have a smaller size and have curved blades. This method can cut the threads very close to the fabric. Thus, providing an effective and clean embroidery design for the user.
- Double Curved Embroidery Scissors – What they sound like is exactly what they are. The handles are also curved, not just the blades. It is very useful when it comes to embroidery machines. Using this method, you can clip a thread without removing the hoop from the machine.
- Designer scissors – With fine edges and stainless steel blades, designer scissors are high-quality scissors. The blades are sharp, the finger rings are large, and the handles are made of plastic. The blades are usually 8 inches long and made with precision to achieve precise results. Designers and cloth makers use them to design clothes and garments in the fashion and clothing industries.
- Snips – These scissors are similar to embroidery scissors in size, but their main function is to snip threads. Usually, they are spring-loaded, which means that they stay open so that all they need to do is be closed to cut. Is there a reason why I don’t use these? It is common for the blades to be open most of the time. They feel like they are stabbing me. There is usually a small cover included with most brands. They aren’t something I use much, and I don’t love them, but so many other crafters swear by them, so I thought I’d share them. The blades don’t come together as nicely as a well-made pair of embroidery scissors, so I don’t find them to cut as nicely.
- Dress Maker Shears – The ones you see in old advertisements with women making clothes are massive. Due to their angle to the handle, they are called shears because their blades rest flat on the cutting surface. By doing so, the fabric can be cut flat as possible. This will help you make a cleaner, more accurate cut. The best pairs will clip all the way down to the tips, and they are big and cut a lot of fabric at once. Many sewists swear that they never have to sharpen the older ones because they are made of all metal.
- Heavy Duty Shop Snips – This type of shear is useful for cutting thick materials without requiring the precision of tailors shears. The original purpose of these clippers was to clip rags (rag quilts are made by sewing the batting into the top and bottom pieces and sewing them together), but I found they were useful for so much more.
- Applique – These are highly specialized. Furthermore, they look a bit odd compared to the other scissors listed here. One of the blades has an extra piece of metal. These scissors are used to cut the excess fabric away from a stitched-down applique without cutting the base fabric. Appliques are sewn onto base fabrics.
- General Purpose – All houses have these. That’s the kind everyone uses everywhere. These are the ones you either clunk around in a junk drawer or display alongside pens and pencils because you use them frequently. One pair is always missing from each of these three pairs. Their handles allow you to put almost all of your fingers into them and are usually about 7 – 8 inches long.
- Small Fabric Scissors for More Intricate Cuts – It is a pair of scissors that are probably most useful when cutting out applique pieces before attaching or when doing curved work that can’t be done with a longer blade. There are a few I’m eyeing. Instead of pushing the fabric out, serrated blades draw it in so it can be cut cleanly.
- Garment Making Shears – Scissors designed for garment-making are usually heavy and have bent handles. Using this method, the user doesn’t need to lift the scissors while cutting the fabric, and the pattern is straight, precise, and clean.
- Tailor scissors – Typically, these are used to cut cardboard, fabric, photos, and paper with moderate thickness. In contrast to stainless steel, these blades are infused with titanium to remain sharp for longer periods of time. Adjustable brass and stainless steel blade promise smooth opening, closing, and strength.
- Pinking Shears – While cutting cloth, the serrated blades of these scissors provide the user with a zig-zag design. In this way, the fabric is kept from fraying. In addition to shearing off loose weave fabrics, pinking shears are also used to cut off fraying fabrics. A sewing room would not be complete without these zig-zag scissors, which are toothed with a zig-zag pattern.
The handles are aligned, and the blades are 9 inches long, which makes them different from other regular scissors. Sewing, craft, and dressmaking use them because they are sawtoothed and ultra-sharp.
In this article, we have compared a regular scissor with a fabric scissor in detail. This article will explain why fabric scissors should only be used with clothes and not other materials. Additionally, it will explain why a regular scissor cannot effectively cut fabrics for garment construction. In this way, the user can gain a better understanding of the advantages and disadvantages that come along with these scissors. Before buying any product, let the user make a more informed decision.