Recently updated on May 26th, 2023
Is there anyone who doesn’t love glitter? A plain and boring dress can be transformed into something glamorous and fun by adding a bit of glitz and jazz.
This article will discuss a few ways to add glitter to a dress. We have curated this article solely for glitzy souls out there so they can get all the details about the right way to add glitter to their dresses and glam up just the way they want.
A little bit of glitter does no harm, as they say. Despite this, it can transform an entire outfit in a matter of seconds. An occasion-appropriate dress can be transformed into something as bubbly and fun as you are by adding some glitter. Using the right equipment and following the procedure is only necessary. With the help of SewingWithEase.com, you will be guided on applying glitter to a dress appropriately so there are no fallouts or blank spaces.
Curious about how to make a dress sparkly? Find the answer in our blog post.
Is it possible to add glitter to a fabric?
The first thing we’d like to do is to clear up any confusion you may have about how glitter can be applied to a fabric. Fabric doesn’t get ruined when glitter is added to it quickly. In order for a piece of fabric to hold all the shine and look precisely the way you envisioned, glitter needs to be applied with immense perfection.
Adding a bit of jazz to a plain dress by glittering all over or in patterns is one of the best decisions you’ll ever make! In this article, we have discussed all the methods of adding glitter to a dress in detail.
The 5 best ways to add glitter to your dress
You can easily add glitter to your dress by following these 5 ways:
- Use glitter glue – Glitter and sparkle can be added to dresses using standard glue, but the glue might not adhere well to the fabric. If you want to ensure that your glitter remains intact and didn’t fall off easily, then using glitter glue is one of the best ways to do it. Anyone who needs glitter glue can buy it easily from the market. This glitter glue can be used to apply glitter to fabric in desired patterns, and it will ensure it stays in place.
- Use fabric glue – Because of its strong adhesive properties, fabric glue can hold two or more fabrics together very firmly. Using this glue to add glitter to your dress is also very easy and effective. Sprinkle the glitter evenly over the fabric and let it dry after you cover it with the glue. Glitter can be added to fabric in a variety of ways. The glitter will be well-settled over the fabric once the glue is dry, and it will remain intact after the glue is dry.
- Use glitter spray – It is possible to buy glitter spray on the market. Sprays explicitly designed for fabrics are made with this formula. There are various variants and colors of these sprays available on the market. Select any one of them and spray it directly onto the fabric from the spray bottle. Adding glitter to a dress is also very easy with this method.
- Use glitter bond – In glitter bond, the glitter adheres firmly to the fabric using a special type of adhesive. Add some loose sparkle evenly to the cloth and let it dry for about three to four hours, and you’re done. Use glitter bond first on the cloth, and then add some glitter bond afterward. With glitter bond, the sparkle will be held well in place by the adhesive.
- Use PVA glue – A dress can also be embellished with glitter using PVA glue, which is another strong adhesive. The PVA glue stick can be used to draw patterns on the fabric, and then glitter or sparkle can be sprinkled on top and allowed to dry. You will get what you want when you use PVA glue to hold the sparkle to the fabric.
Is there a way to avoid glitter falling off?
These methods allow sparkle or glitter to be easily added to the fabric. Glitter falling off is even more difficult. There are a few ways to keep the glitter in place on the fabric and prevent it from falling off and ruining the dress.
- Use hairspray – If you use any of the above-mentioned glittering techniques, you just need to spray your dress with hairspray of any Xyz brand, and you are good to go! There is no permanent solution to this problem, but it can be of use in a pinch if you want a quick fix.
- Use a mixture of glue and water – Using a paintbrush, apply a mixture of glue and water to the patch on your dress that has glitter, and let it dry for a bit. You can do this if the glitter starts falling off after a while. Glitter or sparkle will be able to stick to the fabric very well this way.
- Wash gently – Due to the rigorous washing process, the glitter falls off the dress. Dresses with glitter should be washed gently with a mild cleanser if they have glitter on them.
- Wear your garment carefully – Glitter-covered garments shouldn’t be stretched or worn roughly while you wear them. As a result, the glitter can rub off from the fabric’s surface, leading to the sparkle falling off. Keep your garment in good condition by wearing it carefully to prevent the sparkle from fading.
- Use mod podge – In addition to glitter, mod podge seals the sparkle or glitter very well onto the fabric. It is easy to obtain and super easy to use, so you can get your hands on it.
In this article, you will learn 5 ways to keep the glitter from falling off your dress or fabric. You can use any of these methods to seal glitter perfectly on your dress.
Many of the terms are not familiar? Go through our sewing glossary post and find what interests you.
How long does it take the glitter to completely dry?
It takes four to five hours for fabric glues, glitter glues, or any other adhesive glues to dry completely. In order to ensure that the glitter has settled well on the fabric, you should allow it to dry for at least five hours after adding glitter or sparkle to the fabric.
How to add sparkle to a plain dress?
Adding sparkle to a plain outfit is easy when using accessories such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, rings, and watches. A great way to add sparkle to any outfit is to use gold jewelry. Gold jewelry has been worn for thousands of years, and it still looks beautiful today.
What are the benefits of adding glitter to a dress?
There is no right or wrong way to add glitter to a dress. While adding glitter to your dress has a few benefits, as explained below:
- Add some shine – You can enhance the overall look of a plain dress with glitter or sparkle if you would like to jazz it up with some shine.
- Aggrandize the look – You can make a basic garment stylish and refurbished by adding some sparkle and sealing it well. Adding this to your basic dress will enhance its appearance.
- Play with trends – You need to do this if you love staying on top of the latest trends! Put a little sparkle and jazz into your outfit, and you’ll have an amazing DIY dress to wear!
Dresses can be embellished with glitter or sparkle very quickly. There is a proper way to do this, you just need to know how. The article above explains how to add glitter to your dress and keep it intact. Your very basic outfit can be revamped by going through the entire procedure. This article explains how to add glitter to your dress in detail, and you can easily follow it and make your dress look jazzy!
If you are a fabric fan, go through our post about sewing machine settings for stretchy fabrics.